KS4 Food and Cookery Skills
Students will gain experience of using different cooking skills and methods to enable them to use these within further education or apprenticeships.
The NCFE Level 2 Food and Cookery Skills qualification will give students a basic understanding of the skills required for a career in food.
This qualification will:
- focus on an applied study of the food and cookery sector
- offer breadth and depth of study, incorporating a significant core of knowledge and theoretical content with broad-ranging applicability
- provide opportunities to acquire a number of practical and technical skills.
The objective of this qualification is to:
- prepare and cook using basic skills
- understand food and its functions in the body and in recipes
- understand balanced diets and modification of recipes for health
- plan and produce dishes for a purpose.
Throughout the delivery of this qualification, the following core areas and transferable skills should be evident:
- research skills
- problem solving skills
- health and safety.
Why this subject is important:
- It helps you to demonstrate your design and technology capability.
- It helps you to design and make original, creative products.
- It allows you to work with a range of materials.
- It helps you to explore and investigate different products.
- It helps you to carry out individual, original research.
- It helps you to acquire a range of practical skills.