The transition from primary to secondary can be a stressful event for all students and their parents/carers, and this can be compounded for a child with behavioural, emotional, learning and social difficulties.
To minimise potential difficulties and to help pupils settle in to school as quickly as possible and support them we ensure that we;
- Visit the pupil in their current setting
- Liaise with the previous school to gather as much information about the pupil to the school
- Arrange a home visit with the pupil’s key worker/tutor before the pupil starts at the school
- Develop Sports Leader programme – pupil sport leaders from the school visit other primary school settings
- We will attend the pupil Statement/EHP review
- Arrange taster days for new year 7 pupils
- Run a summer school programme for year 7 pupils for one week
- Arrange parent/carer meetings and visits
- Arrange assessment days to ensure that we identify the starting point/ learning needs of pupils
- Provide a mentor/responsible person to support pupils
- Induction programme for all pupils
- Phased transition support
Youth Connexions provides youth work, information, advice, guidance and support for young people aged 13 up to 25.