The transition from primary to secondary can be a stressful event for all students and their parents/carers, and this can be compounded for a child with behavioural, emotional, learning and social difficulties.
This useful link helps to prepare pupils and parents for any potential travel situations – Travel Training (hertfordshire.gov.uk)
To minimise potential difficulties and to help pupils settle in to school as quickly as possible and support them we ensure that we;
- Visit the pupil in their current setting
- Liaise with the previous school to gather as much information about the pupil to the school
- Arrange a home visit with the pupil’s key worker/tutor before the pupil starts at the school
- Develop Sports Leader programme – pupil sport leaders from the school visit other primary school settings
- We will attend the pupil Statement/EHP review
- Arrange taster days for new year 7 pupils
- Run a summer school programme for year 7 pupils for one week
- Arrange parent/carer meetings and visits
- Arrange assessment days to ensure that we identify the starting point/ learning needs of pupils
- Provide a mentor/responsible person to support pupils
- Induction programme for all pupils
- Phased transition support
Youth Connexions provides youth work, information, advice, guidance and support for young people aged 13 up to 25.