How Effective Are We?
Hailey Hall School is a converter Academy Special School for boys aged 11-16.
What we know about ourselves
- We cater for boys who have learning, social, emotional and behavioural and mental health difficulties (SEMH). The school meets the needs of all our pupils who have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Educational Health and Care Plan.
- An increasing number of pupils are entitled to Free School Meals. At Hailey Hall School 58% of pupils are entitled to Free School Meals, compared to the average of 40% in state funded Special Schools. 2 pupils are CLA (2.5%). The proportion of pupils who are disadvantaged, i.e. Pupil Premium Pupils, is 60%. There is also an increasing percentage of pupils with mental health issues.
- Our vision is to be an outstanding school which offers a safe and stimulating learning environment, where pupils are able to develop socially, academically and emotionally, in order for pupils to attain and achieve their full potential, becoming effective citizens and life-long learners.
- The school has 84 places which support the young person’s education and care.
- The school population is drawn from all parts of Hertfordshire and Essex, especially the larger urban areas. The urban areas contain socio-economically deprived housing estates. The rural areas contain small primary schools or larger secondary schools that cater for wide geographical catchments. We also draw pupils from similar estates in the large urban areas of Hemel Hempstead, Stevenage, and Bishop’s Stortford.
- The school operates its own transport system with all Hertfordshire drivers employed by the school. Transportation of Essex pupils is organised by Essex County Council.
- All staff are trained in Hertfordshire STEPs, which is a behaviour management approach that teaches de-escalation and physical intervention techniques.
Please click this link to view our Pupil Premium statement
For information on our Pupil Destinations please click the links below:
For more information relating to Hailey Hall’s local offer please click this link SEND-OFFER-Review-Autumn-Term-2023-
The School has robust mechanisms to ensure that our evaluation processes enable us to continually improve our education offer. We follow the Ofsted structure for this to identify achievements and priorities.
Please click here to view our SEF SUMMARY 23-24
Latest Ofsted Reports
Feedback from parent survey May 2023:
· 96% of parents agree that the School has high expectations for their child
· 92% of parents feel like ‘there is a good range of subjects available to their child at this school’
· 96% of parents agree that ‘the school supports their child’s wider development.’ (Parent Survey May 2023).
· 96% of parents ‘feel their child does well at School’.
· 85% of parents agree that ‘the School gives their son the support they need to succeed.’ (Parent survey May 2023).
· 88% of parents agree that ‘if their child has been bullied, the school dealt with it quickly and effectively’. (Parent Survey May 2023).
· 96% feel the School communicates effectively
· 91% feel that concerns are dealt with effectively
· 88% feel that the School is well led and managed
· 96% feel that the School lets them know how their child is doing
· 96% feel that they receive valuable information about their child’s progress
· 92% would recommend the School to another parent
· 92% feel that the School makes them aware of what their child has learned during the year.
Quotes form a parent survey May 2023:
‘He is exceeding all expectations and loves to go every day’
‘Was told he was unteachable at primary now he is a high achiever in some subjects and will be taking exams early!’
‘Can not praise the staff enough. My son is a different person now and is so happy ‘
‘Personally grateful for all you have done there for my child I feel he has progressed more in the year he’s been with you then he never has anywhere else and hand on my heart and truly grateful and will continue to support you and him every step of the way’
Parent comments from prior questionnaires:
“My son is a changed boy! Thank you” “Weekly emails are helpful” “Potential bullying is always reported” “He enjoys every minute” “I would recommended this school to another parent – and I have done!” December 2020
“The school is amazing and has done well by my son” November 2021
“Thanks for all your hard work, my son likes the school, we really appreciate all your efforts.” November 2021
“I’m really happy with my son’s progress, he has shocked me from going to school 2 hrs a week from leaving my home at 7.30 am and not getting home till 4.30 pm, it’s progress For my son growing up and dealing with this he also has become more confident in maths where maths was a no go before. I’m really pleased my son has he difficulties, but seen such a change really happy with his progress much appreciated.” November 2021
Quote from Etienne Stott, the Gold Medalist, London 2012 English Slalom canoeist, after attending our Year 11 Leavers Assembly:
“I would just like to reiterate what I said to you just before I left: I was very moved by the words of you and your staff. The emotion and messages to the leavers gave lie to the dedication, passion and belief that you have all clearly given to the task of creating a space for these lads to grow in. I was also touched by the reactions of the leavers. It was clear that some of them found the situation a bit uncomfortable to deal with, but I would see in each of them a pride in their achievements and a warmth to the staff which I might not have expected. I probably can’t really imagine their journeys, but it was clear to me that they are far better equipped for their next phase in life due to their attendance at Hailey Hall”.